Wednesday 11 October 2023

Serpentina - Book Review

 

Serpentina (a Societies Novella)
by Sydney Reames

What is it about:
When Sarah, the meekly obedient daughter of a domineering billionaire, is sent into space and forced to join the wild, harsh life of the desert-dwellers on the planet Rover, she’s confronted with a choice. Keep her head down, as her father expects, and gather useful information about the strange planetary Societies that have recently made contact with Earth. Or, welcome the power that comes with her scaly-skinned Assimilation and reinvent her life, free at last from her oppressive family.

As she grows to care for those around her on this strange new planet, Sarah learns of a threat to them all, a shadowy group called the Spear. Her new abilities offer the chance to rescue not only herself, but many others. The question how far is she willing to go to protect this way of life?

What did I think of it:
After I got over the the strange world building in Assimilation, the first book in this series, I actually loved it. So I picked up the novella when it released (Yes, I'm seriously behind on my reviewing and reading).

And this novella is a lot of fun.

I really liked how this novella shows more about one of the other societies and their initiation. I didn't much care for Sarah in Assimilation, but she really grew on me in this novella. I liked seeing her grow and change,

Near the end of the novella her story catches up to the ending of Assimilation and it was cool to see those events from another angle as well.

All in all a very enjoyable read. I'll try to pick up book 2 in the series soon.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool and fun SF novella


No comments: