Thursday 20 May 2010

Character Connection - Mercy Thompson


We all have characters we love. Let's spotlight these fantastic creations! Whether you want to be friends with them or you have a full-blown crush on them, you know you love them and want everyone else to love them too!

Character Connection host by
TheIntrovertedReader.blogspot.com

So, after all my reviews of the Mercy Thompson series you might have guessed I love Mercy Thompson!

What is it about her that I love?
For one I love the fact she's part Native American and that she's a shifter who can change into a coyote because of those Native American roots. I also like how she's this fierce, really strong, capable woman, who doesn't need a man to save her, but at the same time she's also caring, vulnerable and has her flaws. So often strong women in Urban Fantasy are depicted as indestructible, bitchy, ball busting shrews - at least that's how I see some of them when reading about them - but Mercy isn't like that luckily while still being able to fend for herself. All in all she's a character you can cheer on when she's kicking ass, feel sorry for when life is treating her bad and rejoice for her when something good comes her way.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

I love Mercy! I have the biggest girl-crush/fiction-crush on her (it helps that Dan Dos Santos's covers are so darn sexy!)

I love the fact that Briggs puts a spin on the werewolf tale by having her heroine be a coyote. It was really interesting to see the werewolves through Mercy's eyes, as an outsider, not one of the pack.

'Iron Kissed' was so impacting too. Mercy had always been so fiercely independent and strong, and then in that book her whole world and outlook was shattered. But it was great reading how Briggs brought Mercy back from the brink, and how even now she's still writing Mercy's recovery.

Mercy is, hands down, one of my all-time favorite heroines. Ever!

Nina said...

Okay, she sounds pretty awesome to me!
Love that she's a kick ass girl, fierce, and that you can feel the emotions she goes trough too. And with those tattoos on her arm I so do not want to fight her. :)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

It was only a matter of time before you turned the spotlight on your beloved Mercy! ;)

I, too, am turned off by the ball-busting heroines who are supposedly "strong" but are really just rude and mean. (If a man behaved that way, we wouldn't like him, either.)

Since she is the star of a whole series, I'm not sure when I can get to her story and read it myself, but I really have enjoyed all your posts about these Briggs books, Sully! =)

Midnight Sapphire Books said...

I didn't know about this series!! I'm very interested now. I haven't heard of many Native American characters