Wednesday 8 December 2010

Enemy Within - Book review


Enemy Within by Marcella Burnard

What is it about:
After a stint in an alien prison, Captain Ari Rose wonders why she even bothered to survive. Stripped of her command and banished to her father's scientific expedition to finish a Ph.D. she doesn't want, Ari never planned to languish quietly behind a desk. She wasn't built for it, either. But when pirates commandeer her father's ship, Ari once again becomes a prisoner.

As far as pirate leader Cullin is concerned, Ari's past imprisonment puts her dead center in Cullin's sights. If she hasn't been brainwashed and returned as a spy, then he's convinced she must be part of a traitorous alliance endangering billions of lives. Cullin can't afford the desire she fires within him and he'll stop at nothing, including destroying her, to uncover the truth.


What did I think of it:
I love this book. It's got everything you want from a SciFi: spaceships, intrigue, nasty aliens and firefights. Add an intense and complicated romance to this mix and you got a story that sizzles and captivates. Ari is a character that's been damaged, but luckily not broken and it makes you cheer her on and hope she will get a happy end in both love and her normal life. Some plot twist were a bit too obvious, but that didn't spoil the story for me, I must say. I can only add that I hope Burnard will write more books in this setting.

Why should you read it:
Spaceships, intrigue, nasty aliens, firefights and romance!!



7 comments:

Michelle Greathouse said...

Glad to see you loved this one. I have it on my Christmas list. :)

The second book in the series is called Enemy Games and is due out May of 2011.

M

Nina said...

I haven't read a lot of books with Spaceships in it, but this one sounds truly good. :)

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

Great review and the cover looks like a classic *wink*

Chrissy said...

This sounds interesting. A little out of the ordinary from what I usually read, but never judge a book by its cover!
If it didn't have romance I might not be as interested!
I just finished reading a book called "Carnal Weapon" by Peter Hoffmann, and boy did it ever have Romance. It wasn't all romance, there was a woman spy who went after this up and coming wall street attorney but their love affair is what made this book such a page turner. Check it out would love to hear your review about this book!

SusiSunshine said...

God I so want this book. I'm trying to write a wishlist for XMas today and this one is on the top right now.
I heard so many good things about this one. And I kind of like the cover.

Laura Bickle said...

This one is in my TBR pile! Marcella is a fabulous writer, and I'm excited to read it soon.

Jeffe Kennedy said...

Oh, I loved this one, too!