Friday 6 July 2012

Abandon - Book Review

Abandon (Abandon Trilogy #1)
by Meg Cabot


What is it about:
Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone... because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away... especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.


What did I think of it:
I'm totally reading this trilogy out of order, because the first book I read was Underworld, which is book two. But I liked that book enough to want to read Abandon to see how everything started.

And I must say:
I'm glad I picked up this book, because it's not only a great read, it also makes Underworld a better read.

While I'm still wondering why Pierce and John are attracted to each other, I now understand and like Pierce better. Abandon does a great job to characterize Pierce and make her actions understandable even if they're not always very wise actions.

There's a lot going on this book and while these events do lead up to a sort of cliffhanger ending, it wasn't such a frustrating cliffhanger as the one in Underworld. And yes: I know, I already know what happens after the end of Abandon, but even if you wouldn't know what happens next, the ending of Abandon is of the kind that I could accept if I did have to wait for the next book.

All in all Cabot doesn't disappoint with this trilogy and I'm going to put book three on my 'must order once available for pre-order' list.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable YA take on the Hades and Persephone myth.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

Aurian said...

I just have a thing against reading about female characters with a mans name, like here Pierce. If it is Sam for Samantha, I can live with it, but not this.

Sullivan McPig said...

I can understand your reservation. It can get confusing.