Monday 9 July 2012

Huntress - Book Review

Huntress
by Malinda Lo


What is it about:
Nature is out of balance in the human world. The sun hasn't shone in years, and crops are failing. Worse yet, strange and hostile creatures have begun to appear. The people's survival hangs in the balance.
To solve the crisis, the oracle stones are cast, and Kaede and Taisin, two seventeen-year-old girls, are picked to go on a dangerous and unheard-of journey to Tanlili, the city of the Fairy Queen. Taisin is a sage, thrumming with magic, and Kaede is of the earth, without a speck of the otherworldly. And yet the two girls' destinies are drawn together during the mission. As members of their party succumb to unearthly attacks and fairy tricks, the two come to rely on each other and even begin to fall in love. But the Kingdom needs only one huntress to save it, and what it takes could tear Kaede and Taisin apart forever.


What did I think of it:
This is a very nice read.

I liked Lo's writing, it's a bit stilted, but that fits the Fantasy feel of this story perfectly.

Kaede is a very cool character and I liked her from the start. She's headstrong, but in a way that I could totally relate to. I had some difficulties with liking Taisin, but eventually she grew on me.

The story is interesting and full of action and suspense. I did think the climax of the story was a bit too easy though and that took away from the overall enjoyment of this story.

I also would have liked to learn a bit more of the history of the world this story is set in. The few glimpses into the past were intriguing, but not enough to satisfy my curiosity.

All in all I enjoyed this book and I might pick up Ash, which is set in the same world as this story.

Why should you read it:
It's an action packed Fantasy adventure


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

1 comment:

Nina said...

I really enjoyed reading Ash and this one has been on my TBR list for a while now. I want to read this one very bad. It just looks and sounds so...fierce. Great to hear that the character is cool. :) Great review.