Monday 4 February 2013

Prized - Book Review


Prized (Birthmarked #2)
by Caragh M. O'Brien


What is it about:
Striking out into the wasteland with nothing but her baby sister, a handful of supplies, and a rumor to guide her, sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone survives only to be captured by the people of Sylum, a dystopian society where women rule the men who drastically outnumber them, and a kiss is a crime. In order to see her sister again, Gaia must submit to their strict social code, but how can she deny her sense of justice, her curiosity, and everything in her heart that makes her whole?

What did I think of it:
What I liked about the first book, Birthmarked, is that there was no love triangle. This book however has a love square. And all the beard shaving! At least two beards are the victim of a razor blade.

Those things apart, this is a very cool read. I like the world O'Brien creates and I like how Gaia isn't some wonderteen as is the case with the heroine in many Dystopian YA books. Instead Gaia is insecure and afraid at times and makes some stupid mistakes. I really rooted for her to solve her problems and it was great to see her grow throughout the story.

Of her three admirers I will confess that I didn't like the love interest from the first book the best as is usually the case. I actually liked the minor love interest of the three the best, he's an intriguing character who could have had a lot more screen time in my opinion. I hope we'll see more of him in the next book.

The story itself is full of moral questions and makes you think. It was intense at times and I couldn't put the book down until I finished it.

I am really curious how this trilogy will end and I will be getting my trotters on the last book as soon as I can.

Why should you read it:
It's an intense Dystopian YA read.




Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

No comments: