Friday 22 February 2013

Still Sucks to Be Me - Book Review


Still Sucks to Be Me: More All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton Smith, Teen Vampire (Sucks to Be Me #2)
by Kimberly Pauley


What is it about:
With vampire boyfriend George and best friend Serena by her side, Mina thought she had her whole life—or rather afterlife—ahead of her. But then Mina’s parents drop a bomb. They’re moving. To Louisiana. And not somewhere cool like New Orleans, but some teeny, tiny town where cheerleaders and jocks rule the school. Mina has to fake her death, change her name, and leave everything behind, including George and Serena. Not even the Vampire Council’s shape-shifting classes can cheer her up. Then Serena shows up on Mina’s doorstep with some news that sends Mina reeling. Mina may look a lot better with fangs, but her afterlife isn’t any less complicated!

What did I think of it:
This book certainly tested my patience.

It's in present tense. I do seem to run into present tense a lot lately.

And just as in the first book in this series it has lots of unnecessary Goth bashing. Seriously: what's up with that? You'd think that a book about a teenage vampire would have Goths as a potential audience, but the things said about Goths made me want to scream at the book and throw it across the room.

But because I enjoyed the first book (apart from the Goth bashing) I decided to refrain from throwing things and to keep reading.

And it turns out this book is a lot less enjoyable than the first book. Mina is a lot more annoying for one. The first half of the book is mostly Mina moaning about how much her life sucks. I know this series is about how much it sucks to be Mina, but it was a bit much for me.

After a slow start the action finally kicks in luckily enough and from there on out it gets more interesting. In the end this turned out to be a nice enough read, but I won't be rereading it, that's for sure.

Why should you read it:
It's a nice YA read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

3 comments:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

awww, too bad it didn't totally live up to expectations!

Aurian said...

I have trouble with present tense as well. I do hope it is not the new hot trend in writing.

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I think I'd have trouble with this one as well, but I do love a nice YA read...I'll have to put this series on my wish list.