Monday 6 March 2017

More Than Music - Book Review by Voodoo Bride


More Than Music (Chasing the Dream #1)
by Elizabeth Briggs


What is it about:
Classical musician Maddie Taylor secretly dreams of a louder life, but geeky girls like her don't get to be rock stars. That is, until tattooed singer Jared Cross catches her playing guitar and invites her to join his band on The Sound, a reality TV show competition.

Once on the show, Maddie discovers there's more to Jared than his flirty smile and bad boy reputation. With each performance their attraction becomes impossible to ignore, but when the show pressures them to stay single, they're forced to keep their relationship secret.

As the competition heats up, Jared will do whatever it takes for his band to win, and Maddie must decide if following her dream is worth losing her heart.


What did Voodoo Bride think of it:
I fell in love with the prequel novella of this series, so had to read more. I wasn't a fan of Jared in the novella, so I was tempted to skip to book two in the series (comic books geeks!). I finally decided to get both books and give Jared a chance.

I love this book!

I will confess Jared wasn't the romantic hero I wanted him to be, and I really think Maddie could do better, but the story was just so good!

Instead of losing myself in the romance I was totally engrossed in the competition and the dynamics of the whole band. Yes: there were some tense scenes between Maddie and Jared, but to be honest I was more curious to find out if the band would win, than if our two lead characters would end up together. To me this story felt much more like it was about Maddie finding out who she is than that it is a romance.

I loved reading more about Kyle and Hector, and the whole competition was really fun to read about as well. I liked getting to know the heroines of later books in the series, and seeing Maddie grow and finding her place in the band and in life. Jared grew on me during the story, but he doesn't hold a candle to Kyle or Hector. Still Briggs writes in a way that made the ending satisfying and that makes me eager to pick up the next book.

Luckily it's already in my TBR pile.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun New Adult read.


Buy from bookdepository

1 comment:

LM Preston said...

Gotta love the musician bad boy novels. This sounds like it will have an interesting relationship. Will check it out. Thanks for sharing.