Wednesday 2 May 2018

Dreams - Book Review


Dreams
by Olive Schreiner


What is it about:
This is the second book by Schreiner, South African author and feminist, who is best remembered for her novel, The Story of an African Farm. It contains eleven short stories based on Schreiner's dreams and life on a farm in South Africa.

What did I think of it:
I came across this book at an antique shop years ago, as a teen. I was reading mainly in Dutch back then, and bought this book as it was cheap (not being in the best shape) and I wanted to practice my English outside of my text books in school. This particular version of the book is from 1904 and published by a Dutch publisher who added some footnotes with translation of unfamiliar terms.

I fell in love with it and even tried to convince my English teacher to let me add it to my book list, but she didn't know the book or author so refused.

After reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde I remembered this book and realized it had been years since I read it. time for a reread to see if it was as beautiful as I remembered.

And it certainly is. Of the eleven stories in this book only the last one isn't for me. The others are hauntingly beautiful. Some are just a few pages long, others a bit longer. Schreiner uses a lot of allegories and metaphors in a way that makes that the title of this book is a fitting choice: not only are a few stories brought as dreams, they feel dreamlike and ethereal as well. Each story brims with emotion and hidden heartache.

I loved revisiting this book, and my favorites from back then still resonate with me now. You bet I'll keep this little pearl on my shelves for many more years to come.

Why should you read it:
It's a hauntingly beautiful read.


buy from bookdepository

No comments: