Wednesday 16 May 2018

Flesh - Book Review (repost)

I have been rereading Flesh, so thought I'd repost my review for those who still haven't gotten their hands on it, because it is awesome and everyone should read it, imo.


Flesh
by Laura Bickle


What is it about:
The dead are easy to talk to. Live people, not so much.

Charlie Sulliven thinks she knows all the secrets of the dead. Raised in a funeral home, she’s the reluctant “Ghoul Girl,” her reputation tied to a disastrous Halloween party. But navigating her life as a high school sophomore is an anxiety-inducing puzzle to her. She haunts the funeral home with her parents, emo older brother, Garth, their pistol-packing Gramma, and the glass-eyeball-devouring dachshund, Lothar.

Chewed human bodies are appearing in her parents’ morgue…and disappearing in the middle of the night. The bodies seem tied to a local legend, Catfish Bob, who has resurfaced in the muddy Milburn river near Charlie’s small town. When one of Charlie’s classmates, Amanda, awakens in the cooler as a flesh-eating ghoul, Charlie must protect her newfound friend and step up to unravel the mystery…and try to avoid becoming lunch meat for the dead.


What did I think of it:
You might know I'm a big fan of Laura Bickle, so you bet I started reading this book as soon as it released.

And this is yet another awesome read!

Charlie is easy to relate to. She just wants to be a normal teen, but living in a funeral home and with a family like hers that isn't easy. I was rooting for her from the start.

The story has a nice build up: you get to know Charlie and her family while there are hints that some weird stuff might be going on, but nothing too obvious until corpses start disappearing...

This story is creepy, suspenseful, and kept me reading until I finished it. There are ghouls, old evils lurking in the shadows, and one of the most awesome grandmothers I've seen in fiction. I also loved the antics of Lothar, the dachshund.

I loved how the story progressed and how the pacing increased as things get more dire. I was intrigued by what was happening and why it was happening. Charlie tries to do things on her own, but luckily she finds people who can help her as things spiral more and more out of control.

As with all good stories I finished it way too soon, but the ending was very satisfying. You bet I got my trotters on a print copy to hug and pet and reread any time I want.

Why should you read it:
Zombies!!! Well... sort of zombies, but still awesome!


Buy from Amazon

No comments: