Friday 4 May 2018

My Lady Jane - Book Review


My Lady Jane (The Lady Janies #1)
by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, & Jodi Meadows


What is it about:
Edward (long live the king) is the King of England. He’s also dying, which is inconvenient, as he’s only sixteen and he’d much rather be planning for his first kiss than considering who will inherit his crown…

Jane (reads too many books) is Edward’s cousin, and far more interested in books than romance. Unfortunately for Jane, Edward has arranged to marry her off to secure the line of succession. And there’s something a little odd about her intended…

Gifford (call him G) is a horse. That is, he’s an EĆ°ian (eth-y-un, for the uninitiated). Every day at dawn he becomes a noble chestnut steed—but then he wakes at dusk with a mouthful of hay. It’s all very undignified.

The plot thickens as Edward, Jane, and G are drawn into a dangerous conspiracy. With the fate of the kingdom at stake, our heroes will have to engage in some conspiring of their own. But can they pull off their plan before it’s off with their heads?


What did I think of it:
This is such a fun read.

As you can see my copy of this book has 'The not entirely True Story' under the title, so I went into this book knowing it would not come close to historical events. If you do not like it when people take liberties with history this is not your book. If you do however like a re-imagining of historical events and like your books funny, pick this book up!

I myself was hooked from the start. I loved the humor used in this book, and I loved Jane from the start. She's a total bookworm, how could I not love her!? Besides Jane, both Edward and Gifford/G are viewpoint characters as well. I really liked them as well, although they couldn't beat Jane.

The first part of the book does mostly follow historical events (horses, other shape-shifters and such aside). It's later on in the book that the story steers away from history all together. I can tell you I was eager to find out what would happen to everyone, and if Jane and G could learn to work together. Edward's predicament was just as suspenseful, and I cheered the three of them on to stay alive, keep their heads, and get a happily ever after.

All in all a fun and very entertaining read. I think I'll pick up the next Jane book (which is about another Jane and can be read as a standalone) once it releases.

Why should you read it:
It's a funny and enjoyable read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: