Sunday 16 May 2010

Bone Crossed - Book Review

Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs

What is it about:
Healing in body and spirit after the events of Iron Kissed, Mercy is exploring her relationship with alpha werewolf Adam Hauptman when an old friend asks her to help fend off a nasty ghost. It's a good time for Mercy to leave Portland, Ore.: vampire queen Marsilia is after her and her vampire friend Stefan for successfully hunting down a monster that should have killed them. Mercy leaves Adam to negotiate peace with Marsilia and heads to Spokane, Wash., to investigate the ghost, an unexpectedly complicated task.

What did I think of it:
I've yet to read a bad Mercy Thompson story by Briggs, but still this book was my least favourite sofar. It's mainly a vampire book, so that might have to do with it: I missed the werewolves and fae. And truth be told, the story felt a bit stilted compared to the other books. This might have to do with the explosion of emotions that was 'Iron Kissed', but still even upon re-reading 'Bone Crossed' a couple of month later so to not let 'Iron Kissed' influence it too much I kept feeling it could have been more. All in all it's a very nice read, but it missed some of the heart that was in the other books.

Why should you read it:
Even though it's the lesser of the 5 books, it's still better than a lot of other UF books!

2 comments:

vvb32 reads said...

haven't read it yet but have seen it all over. this cover isn't as colorful and interesting as the other version.

Danielle said...

I agree completely. After the high tensions and action of 'Iron Kissed', 'Bone Crossed' seemed to come down from that book's high... it was a slight let-down, but I appreciated the few bits of Adam/Mercy sweetness (though I wanted more).

I agree that the vampire storyline was to blame. I'm a vampire fan, but not in this series. In this series I like the focus to be on the werewolves.

Great review.