Saturday 23 April 2011

Blood Lite II: Overbite - Book Review

Blood Lite II: Overbite edited by Kevin J. Anderson
(Anthology)

What is it about:
A collection of humorous horror from Kelley Armstrong, L.A. Banks, Allison Brennan, Heather Graham and many more outstanding stars of dark fiction.

What did I think of it:
A very enjoyable anthology. There are about 31 stories in this book and I liked most of them. There were some stories that just didn't go anywhere or were trying to be too clever, but most were fun and enjoyable.

I will give my thoughts about the stories by the 4 big names on the cover and about some of my favourites:

Death and Taxes by Heather Graham - One of the stories that tries too hard to be clever. Wasn't fooled or impressed by this one.

Dog Tired (of the Drama) by L.A. Banks - I really enjoyed this one and might pick up more books by Banks if I come across them.

Her Lucky Day by Allison Brennan - Has potential, but doesn't manage to deliver.

Lucifer's Daughter by Kelley Armstrong - I really enjoyed this story, but wonder if people unfamiliar with Hope and Karl (the lead characters who also feature in other books by Armstrong) will enjoy this story as well.

Dark Carbuncle by Kevin J. Anderson and Janis Ian - The perfect example of how you should set up and deliver a short humorous horror story.

The Halloween War by Brian J. Hatcher - Even though this story lacked in a well rounded plot it delivers with great characters and a cool story idea.

A Wing and a Prayer by Sharyn McCrumb - My absolute favourite story of this anthology. Well rounded and intriguing story and great writing. I will be investigating what other books McCrumb has written.

Why should you read it:
It's got tons of fun horror stories!

No comments: