Friday 1 April 2011

Rot and Ruin - Book Review

Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura #1) by Jonathan Maberry

What is it about:
In the zombie-infested, post-apocalyptic America where Benny Imura lives, every teenager must find a job by the time they turn fifteen or get their rations cut in half. Benny doesn't want to apprentice as a zombie hunter with his boring older brother Tom, but he has no choice. He expects a tedious job whacking zoms for cash, but what he gets is a vocation that will teach him what it means to be human.

What did I think of it:
Can I just say: Awesome!!
Seriously, this book is amazing. Part of the story I already knew as this book expands on the novella 'Family Business' that was published in The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology, but I totally didn't mind as Maberry's writing, world building and characterisation are wonderful and because this book gives so much more. I admire how Maberry manages to write a kick-ass zombie story that at the same time tackles issues like family, coming of age and human nature and does so in a totally natural way. I also really like how Maberry sets the story in a time frame where zombies have become a fact of life instead of during the first outbreak. As I already mentioned the world building is amazing: Maberry creates a very believable post-apocalyptic society filled with people who feel so real and familiar you have an instant connection with them. Although Benny Imura is the lead character I will confess that his brother Tom was my favourite character from the start: Tom rocks! That being said, Benny certainly is a cool character as well and I will keep an eye out for the next book as I want more!

Why should you read it:
It's got zombies and zombie hunters!



5 comments:

Michelle Greathouse said...

I love me some zombies. Adding this one to my wish list. :)

Great review.

M

titania86 said...

This book is staring at me from my bookshelf. I must read it soon! Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

Great, fun review (thanks, Sullivan!).

There are thirteen pages of free prequel scenes for ROT & RUIN available on the Simon & Schuster webpage for the book. Here’s a link to the main page; access the scenes by clicking on the banner that reads: READ BONUS MATERIAL BY JONATHAN MABERRY: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Rot-Ruin/Jonathan-Maberry/9781442402324

Benny Imura and his friends will return in DUST & DECAY (summer, 2011) and at least two more books beyond that (FLESH & BONE and FIRE & ASH).

Sullivan McPig said...

Thanks everyone
@Jonathan: Thanks for letting me know. I'm off to read the prequel scenes!

vvb32 reads said...

loved this one too!