Wednesday 20 June 2018

Children of Blood and Bone - Book Review


Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha #1)
by Tomi Adeyemi


What is it about:
They killed my mother.
They took our magic.
They tried to bury us.

Now we rise.

Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zélie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls.

But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.

Now Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good.

Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers and her growing feelings for an enemy.


What did I think of it:
I will confess I fell for that gorgeous cover first. Then I read the blurb and it sounded so intriguing I got my trotters on this book.

And this is a great read.

It is told from three different viewpoints: Zélie, Amari, and Inan. Zélie is a diviner, someone who would have had magic if the king had not destroyed all magic. She saw her mother get killed before her eyes and desperately longs for a better world. Amari is the daughter of the king and a princess. When her father kills someone she loves she sets out to change the world. Inan is Amari's brother and crown prince. He's been taught magic is evil and that duty is more important than anything.

I loved seeing the story from three different viewpoints. All three characters have their strengths and flaws, and I must say I liked all three of them. I didn't like Zélie's brother though. He had the typical older brother attitude of thinking he knows better what must be done than his sister. So he acts like a jerk every time Zélie doesn't do what he thinks she should do.

The story is suspenseful and full of action, difficult decisions, and betrayal. I had to read on to see what would happen next. Would Zélie and Amari succeed in their plans? Would Inan change his mind and join them? The story took a couple of turns I really didn't see coming, I can tell you.

I also liked how things aren't good vs. evil. Adeyemi shows how magic can be used both to do good or to do bad. Zélie doubts at times if her plan is the right one. Inan isn't just evil or doesn't just change his mind because he has seen the light. This story makes you think what choices you would make if you were in the position of the lead characters.

The ending is a total cliffhanger, but not in an annoying way. But I can tell you I need the next book to see what happens next.

Why should you read it:
It's a suspenseful and compelling YA Fantasy read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: