Friday 14 June 2019

The Calculating Stars - Book Review


The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut #1)
by Mary Robinette Kowal


What is it about:
On a cold spring night in 1952, a huge meteorite fell to earth and obliterated much of the east coast of the United States, including Washington D.C. The ensuing climate cataclysm will soon render the earth inhospitable for humanity, as the last such meteorite did for the dinosaurs. This looming threat calls for a radically accelerated effort to colonize space, and requires a much larger share of humanity to take part in the process.

Elma York’s experience as a WASP pilot and mathematician earns her a place in the International Aerospace Coalition’s attempts to put man on the moon, as a calculator. But with so many skilled and experienced women pilots and scientists involved with the program, it doesn’t take long before Elma begins to wonder why they can’t go into space, too.

Elma’s drive to become the first Lady Astronaut is so strong that even the most dearly held conventions of society may not stand a chance against her.


What did I think of it:
This was another Hugo read, and I was surprised by how much I liked it.

I usually am not too bothered by the whole race into space thing. Give me aliens! This story immediately pulled me in though. The apocalyptic meteorite that starts this alternative history story sets the stakes right from the start: if humanity doesn't succeed in getting into space, there won't be any humans left in a couple of years.

Elma is a brilliant mathematician who also loves flying planes and has lots of experience as a WASP pilot. As she gets involved in the space program she begins to dream to go into space and to become an astronaut, but conventions and bigotry stand in her way.

I rooted for Elma from the start. It's frustrating to see how she and other women have to step back just because of their gender. Even though this story is an alternate history Robinette Kowal succeeds in creating the atmosphere of the time and fills the book with characters so real I wanted to kick the ones who stand in Elma's way.

Next to Elma's fight for a more equal society the race into space was also a lot more fascinating than I would have thought. I was glued to the pages to see where things would lead and if Elma would manage to fulfill her dreams. I liked how Elma herself isn't flawless, and how she is made aware of her privilege.

All in all a compelling and engaging read. I immediately dug up a book by Robinette Kowal I had in my TBR to see if it would be just as good.

Why should you read it:
It's a very enjoyable Alternate History read.


buy from Amazon

No comments: