Monday 15 July 2019

American Hippo - Book Review


American Hippo (River of Teeth #1-2)
by Sarah Gailey


What is it about:
In 2017 Sarah Gailey made their debut with River of Teeth and Taste of Marrow, two action-packed novellas that introduced readers to an alternate America in which hippos rule the colossal swamp that was once the Mississippi River. Now readers have the chance to own both novellas in American Hippo, a single, beautiful volume.

Years ago, in an America that never was, the United States government introduced herds of hippos to the marshlands of Louisiana to be bred and slaughtered as an alternative meat source. This plan failed to take into account some key facts about hippos: they are savage, they are fast, and their jaws can snap a man in two.

By the 1890s, the vast bayou that was once America's greatest waterway belongs to feral hippos, and Winslow Houndstooth has been contracted to take it back. To do so, he will gather a crew of the damnedest cons, outlaws, and assassins to ever ride a hippo. American Hippo is the story of their fortunes, their failures, and his revenge.


What did I think of it:
I read River of Teeth shortly after it released and loved it. I meant to read Taste of Marrow as well, but you know what happens when too many cool books arrive at the same time: some end up forgotten, no matter their awesomeness.

And then I saw this beauty!!!

Look at it! How can any hippo lover resist this? I couldn't anyway!

So when American Hippo arrived I dove right into it and reread River of Teeth before devouring the rest of the stories as well.

What a wonderful and awesome world Gailey created here. It's an alternate history where feral hippos rule the Mississippi and hippo wranglers ride hippos through the swamps. This is a hippo lover's dream! I loved the world building and the atmosphere in these stories.

I must say I enjoyed River of Teeth even more than the first time I read it. I was totally engaged and rooted for Winslow and his crew to succeed. I once again fell in love with Hero, they absolutely do their name proud in my opinion. And the hippos! There were lots of hippos: smart hippos, feral hippos, hippo mayhem: All the hippos!!

And I finally got to read what happens after that cliffhangery ending! Taste of Marrow was just as awesome as River of Teeth, and there were lots of hippos once again. Hero was once again my favorite character, although some of the others got more screen-time and were very cool as well.

Things were dire at times, and I was on the edge of my seat to see if things would turn out ok. The ending was everything I could hope for.

Next there were two short stories that take place before the start of River of Teeth and that are fun little extras you don't want to miss if you loved the duology.

All in all a hippo-filled and awesome book! I'm so going to try to get this beauty signed by Gailey when I'm at Worldcon.

Why should you read it:
Hippos in the Mississippi!
Awesome characters!
A daring caper operation!


buy from bookdepository

1 comment:

miki said...

it's sure original and since you love hippo it was definitively a book for you!