Wednesday 3 July 2019

Tithe - Book Review


Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales #1)
by Holly Black


What is it about:
Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms - a struggle that could very well mean her death.

What did I think of it:
I was not a fan of The Cruel Prince, but I read Valiant, the second book in a trilogy, in 2014 and really enjoyed it. It was perfectly readable as a standalone, but when I saw this omnibus that contains all three books would be released I pre-ordered it. When it arrived I immediately dove into the first book: Tithe

Ant this is my kind of faerie tale.

Kaye returns to the place she grew up, and when strange things start happening to her she tries to find her childhood friends, who may or may not be imaginary. When she stumbles upon a wounded faerie and helps him her life gets even more complicated and she is made aware of Faerie and its different factions.

Kaye is both world wary and naive at the same time. It was an interesting mix and I really liked her. It was more difficult to see what the motives were of those around her. As she gets mixed up with faeries from a couple of different factions, she will have to decide who to trust and what she will do with the secrets she uncovers.

You bet I was hooked soon after starting this book and I read it in almost one sitting. What a cool story and world building. This is what The Cruel Prince could have been if Cardan hadn't been the bully he is.

You bet I did a reread of Valiant soon after finishing this book, and I'll read the last book in the trilogy soon as well.

Why should you read it:
It's a really cool YA with Urban Faeries.


buy from bookdepository

No comments: