Monday 13 January 2020

Twelve Kingdoms Reread: Prisoner of the Crown - Book Review

As mentioned in my post last Monday I started my reread of Jeffe Kennedy's Twelve Kingdoms/Uncharted Realms books with Prisoner of the Crown, the first book in the prequel trilogy The Chronicles of Dasnaria.

I haven't reviewed this book before, so here is my review.


Prisoner of the Crown (The Chronicles of Dasnaria #1)
by Jeffe Kennedy


What is this about:
She was raised to be beautiful, nothing more. And then the rules changed . . .

In icy Dasnaria, rival realm to the Twelve Kingdoms, a woman’s role is to give pleasure, produce heirs, and question nothing. But a plot to overthrow the emperor depends on the fate of his eldest daughter. And the treachery at its heart will change more than one carefully limited life . . .

THE GILDED CAGE
Princess Jenna has been raised in supreme luxury—and ignorance. Within the sweet-scented, golden confines of the palace seraglio, she’s never seen the sun, or a man, or even learned her numbers. But she’s been schooled enough in the paths to a woman’s power. When her betrothal is announced, she’s ready to begin the machinations that her mother promises will take Jenna from ornament to queen.

But the man named as Jenna’s husband is no innocent to be cozened or prince to charm. He’s a monster in human form, and the horrors of life under his thumb are clear within moments of her wedding vows. If Jenna is to live, she must somehow break free—and for one born to a soft prison, the way to cold, hard freedom will be a dangerous path indeed…


What did I think of it:
This first book of the Chronicles of Dasnaria isn't an easy one, especially if you are triggered by (sexual) abuse. Still I love it!

I fell in love with Jenna from the start, celebrated her victories, and agonized over her defeats and her restrictions. The world she grew up in seems lush and beautiful at first sight, but looking closer you can see the hidden ugliness and poison. The way her life in the seraglio is described I could understand why Jenna is neglectfully naive, but still has a core of steel that keeps her going when her world falls apart around her.

This book is dark and emotional, but it also shows love and hope. The ending especially gives hope Jenna might escape the darkness and find her way to a bright new future. You really will want to get your hands on the next book to see what happens next for Jenna after finishing this one.

Notes on rereading: Even knowing the story already I was hooked and couldn't put the book down. Jeffe describes everything in a way I could easily picture the lush seraglio and its inhabitants. This is a book I can read again and again without getting bored.

Why should you read it:

It's a beautiful and emotional Fantasy read.


buy links


Note on my reread event:
As nobody indicated they wanted to read along at a specific pace, I'll set my own and post about my progress here on my blog. Feel free to leave your thoughts about the books in the comments, and read along whenever you feel like it.

Next book in this reread will be Exile of the Seas.

No comments: