Friday 15 May 2020

Beneath the Sugar Sky - Book Review (repost)

Another reread


Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children #3)
by Seanan McGuire


What is it about:
When Rini lands with a literal splash in the pond behind Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children, the last thing she expects to find is that her mother, Sumi, died years before Rini was even conceived. But Rini can’t let Reality get in the way of her quest – not when she has an entire world to save! (Much more common than one would suppose.)

If she can't find a way to restore her mother, Rini will have more than a world to save: she will never have been born in the first place. And in a world without magic, she doesn’t have long before Reality notices her existence and washes her away. Good thing the student body is well-acquainted with quests...

A tale of friendship, baking, and derring-do.

Warning: May contain nuts.


What did I think of it:
And finally I got to the book that is a Hugo nominee this year! I will confess that I did feel a bit guilty that I read the two books before this one, because I did put aside two of the Hugo nominees in the novella category for not being the first in a series. But then again: at least I'm trying to get some of the nominations read instead of just voting for what sounds familiar.

Anyway: This story is mainly told from the perspective of Cora. A new student at Eleanor's school. There are characters who played an important role in the first book who are once again playing bigger roles in this book as well. So I'm glad I read the first book, because it made this story come alive even more.

The children/teens decide to help out Rini, who is from the future of the Fantastical world her mother traveled back to as a child after staying at the school. Except... her mother died before going back. So it's up to Cora and her friends to find a way to undo the past.

I loved getting to know yet another fantastical world, and to learn more about the students I already met in the first book, as well as getting to know the new characters. This book wasn't as emotional for me as the first, but I very much enjoyed the adventures and the camaraderie between the teens.

All in all a great addition to this series, and I immediately went on to read book 4.

Why should you read it:
It's a really fun Fantasy read


buy from Amazon

No comments: