Monday 29 March 2021

Dealbreaker - Book Review

I have been gaming more than I've been reading the last few weeks, so that's why I took a break from reviewing. But I did read some books, and I'm getting my reading groove back, so now it's time to end my break and get back to reviewing.


Dealbreaker (The Bounceback #2)
by L.X. Beckett

What is it about:
Rubi Whiting has done the impossible. She has proved that humanity deserves a seat at the galactic table. Well, at least a shot at a seat. Having convinced the galactic governing body that mankind deserves a chance at fixing their own problems, Rubi has done her part to launch the planet into a new golden age of scientific discovery and technological revolution.

However, there are still those in the galactic community that think that humanity is too poisonous, too greedy, to be allowed in, and they will stop at nothing to sabotage a species determined to pull itself up.

What did I think of it:
I loved Gamechanger so you bet I preordered Dealbreaker as soon as it was available. Then I had to (im)patiently wait for the release.

And it was totally worth the wait.

This book takes places several years after Gamechanger and it's up to the next generation to show that they are capable of keeping up with the rules set by the galactic community. But there are people who don't want mankind to succeed, and they're willing to kill for it.

I was invested from the start. Some of the characters from Gamechanger didn't return or only had a minor role, but the cast of characters was amazing. I especially loved Frankie, Maud, and Crane. There was also a character that technically belonged with the bad guys, but who I fell in love with.

As with the previous book you have to keep your attention on the story to get all the nuances. There are many unfamiliar terms, and lots of people who are connected to what's going on. I was  on the edge of my seat to see if my favorites would survive, and if they would manage to stop those who were working against humanity.

All in all a wonderful sequel that would also work as a standalone. I'll be keeping an eye out for more by Beckett.

Why should you read it:
It's an amazing Futuristic read


buy from Amazon

 

No comments: