Friday 9 April 2021

A Fugitive Truth - Book Review

 

A Fugitive Truth (Emma Fielding Mystery #4)
by Dana Cameron

What is it about:
The past's blood stains the present

The opportunity of a lifetime awaits archaeologist Emma Fielding in the Berkshire foothills of Western Massachusetts: the chance to study the eighteenth-century diary of Margaret Chandler, the accused witch and murderess whose home Emma excavated only months before. However, the three other Shrewsbury Foundation fellows she must share the premises with are a disturbingly odd bunch, and before too long one of them is dead.

But Emma can find no solace in the bleak beauty of the surrounding wilderness, for there are dark secrets encoded in Madam Chandler's writings, and shocking parallels between an ancient slaying and the strange brutal demise of her colleague.

When the killer strikes again, Emma realizes her own life is at stake. And suddenly there is no choice left: she is driven to investigate bloody crimes past and present -- before her own death becomes a footnote in a chilling, three-centuries-old story.

What did I think of it:
I loved the first three books in this series, but there are so many books I want to read that I kept forgetting to pick up the next book in the series.

I seriously need to step up and finish this series though as this book was yet another awesome read.

Emma is a fun character. She's serious about her work, but also curious to the point it puts her into harm's way. I rooted for her to both uncover the secrets of the diary she's researching and to find the killer who is stalking her and others.

I loved how this murder mystery has parallels with Emma's research, creating more mystery and suspense. I was invested and intrigued and couldn't put this book down. I feared for the life of some of the characters and hoped my favorites would survive.

All in all a great read, and I'll have to get hold of Sugarplums and Scandal which contains book 4.5 in this series, so I can dive into book 5 afterward.

Why should you read it:
It's a really cool Murder Mystery.


Buy from Amazon


No comments: