Wednesday 14 April 2021

The Year of the Beasts - Book Review

 

The Year of the Beasts
by Cecil Castellucci and Nate Powell (Illustrator)

What is it about:
Every summer the trucks roll in, bringing the carnival and its infinite possibilities to town. This year Tessa and her younger sister Lulu are un-chaperoned and want to be first in line to experience the rides, the food... and the boys. Except this summer, jealousy will invade their relationship for the first time, setting in motion a course of events that can only end in tragedy, putting everyone's love and friendship to the test.

Alternating chapters of prose and comics are interwoven in this extraordinary novel that will break your heart and crack it wide open at the same time.

What did I think of it:
I've loved everything I've read by Cecil Castellucci, but somehow never got to reading this book until now.

And this turned out to be the first book by Castellucci that's not for me.

It's not the format. The alternating chapters of prose and comics was a cool idea, and I really liked Powell's illustrations. It's that I didn't connect with the lead character Tessa. The way the story was told kept me at a distance and didn't make me feel for her. I even disliked her at times.

And then there's the ending. Didn't much care for that either. The ending was supposed to be the culmination of everything that happened that summer, but it felt more liked a separated event. How Tessa reacts to it has indeed to do with what she experienced that summer, but it just felt off to me.

Maybe it's just me, and this book just doesn't work for me at this moment in my life. I will pick up another still unread book by Castellucci soon, or reread one of my favorites by her.

Why should you read it:
It's a YA about first loves, growing up, and friendship. 



No comments: