Monday 20 September 2021

Cyberpunk 2077, Vol. 1: Trauma Team - Book Review

 

Cyberpunk 2077, Vol. 1: Trauma Team - (Cyberpunk 2077: Trauma Team #1-4)
by Cullen Bunn and Miguel Valderrama (Illustrator)

What is it about:
Dive deeper into the world of Cyberpunk 2077!

Nadia, an assistant EMT for a privately-owned business known as Trauma Team International, is the sole survivor of a failed rescue mission turned shootout.

After she agrees to continue work for an upcoming extraction mission, Nadia discovers that her new extraction subject is Apex--the man who's responsible for Nadia's former team members' deaths. A hundred floors high in a skyscraper filled with members of Apex's rival gang, Nadia and her team must complete the extraction.

Cullen Bunn (Harrow County, Uncanny X-Men) and Christopher Mooneyham (Predator, Nightwing) introduce an all-original series based on CD Projekt Red's brand-new game Cyberpunk 2077!

Collects Cyberpunk 2077 #1-4.

What did I think of it:
My love for the game Cyberpunk 2077 is still going strong, so I got my trotters on the 3 issues of Trauma Team I hadn't read yet. I reread the first issue and then read the others. Note that I am reviewing them as a whole and link to the bundled issues instead of the separate issues here. If you do buy them in digital format it might be wise to get them all separately though, it might be cheaper.

I liked the artwork in this comic. It's not too polished and fits the atmosphere of the story and world.

The story itself is told out of order, alternating between flashbacks and the 'now'. And I think that might be what made this story lose power for me. Nadia is back at work after losing her entire team on an earlier mission. Although we get to see what happened early on in the story, extra information about Nadia's connection to her team is kept for later. If the story was told chronologically this might have made me feel more for Nadia, now to me it came across as a badly used plot device instead of making me bond with the story and Nadia. 

That aside I had fun with this comic. There was action, drama, and it expanded my understanding of the Cyberpunk 2077 world. All in all worth a read for fans of the game.

Why should you read it:
It's an entertaining read set in the Cyberpunk 2077 world.


buy from Amazon

No comments: