Wednesday 8 September 2021

Eat the Rich - Comic Book Review

Eat the Rich (Eat the Rich, #1)
by Sarah Gailey, Pius Bak (Illustrator), Roman Titov (Illustrator), and Cardinal Rae (Illustrator)

What is it about:
What unspeakable horror eats away at the heart of Crestfall Bluffs?

With law school and her whole life ahead of her, Joey plans to summer with her boyfriend Astor in his seemingly perfect hometown of Crestfall Bluffs.

It's a chance to finally meet Astor's family and childhood friends, all while enjoying a vacation with every need attended to by servants.

But beneath the affluent perfection lies a dark, deadly rot... will Joey discover the truth before it's too late, and if she does, can she survive to tell the tale?

What did I think of it:
Apart from one short story that just wasn't for me, I've loved everything by Gailey that I've read. So you bet I got my greedy trotters on this comic. 

The art-style isn't my favorite, but it works good enough. It reminded me of some of the Sandman comics in tone and style. If you get this comic in print there are several covers you can choose from, and I can tell you that I would totally have chosen one of the other covers if that had been possible for the digital version.

As for the story:
I very much enjoyed the story and how it is set up. It's not very subtle in my opinion, and telegraphs the horrors to come from Joey's boyfriend telling he started drinking at 12, to other even more obvious chilling remarks.

But this is a horror story after all, so I didn't mind at all. Instead I was eager to see where the story would lead.

This being issue 1 of a 5-issue series it does end just as things begin to unravel, leaving you hungry for more. You bet I'll be getting my trotters on issue 2 when it releases.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool horror comic


buy from amazon

 

No comments: