Wednesday 15 December 2021

Season of Yellow Leaf - Book Review

Season of Yellow Leaf
by Douglas C. Jones

What is it about:
Captured by the Comanche in the 1830s, 10-year-old "Chosen", is reared by the tribe and becomes strong enough to survive the pain of losing her whole world. A unique witness to a vanishing way of life, Chosen becomes one of the Comanche and suffers with them as the white man destroys their ranks.

What did I think of it:
I read this book ages ago in Dutch before I started reading in English and absolutely loved it back then. I didn't remember the author, so it took me forever to find it again for a reread in English. I finally stumbled upon it by accident when I saw a list with books based on the life of Cynthia Ann Parker. 

I must have been a glutton for punishment back then, or more focused on the setting and the lifestyle of the Comanches than the story, because what a depressing read this is!

Don't get me wrong: it's a really good book, but there's so much suffering, heartache, and other negativity going on. And yes: the period in time this story is set in, isn't a happy one for the Comanches, but if I compare this book to Ride the Wind by Lucia St. Clair Robson, which is also based on the life of Cynthia Ann Parker, and also has some seriously sad moments, it seems like this book doesn't even try to bring some levity, but instead piles drama upon drama upon desperation.

So this was a very emotionally tiring read. I did still love reading about the Comanches and their way of life, but I really would have liked a few more happy moments.

Before this reread I was contemplating tracking down the sequel Gone the Dreams and Dancing which I've not read yet, but I'm hesitant now. I think I'll either reread the romanticized novel about Quanah Parker I already have in my collection, or finally get myself a copy of Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne

Why should you read it:
It is a beautiful if depressing read.


buy from amazon



 

No comments: