Wednesday 6 April 2022

Blake and Mortimer - Ramblings from Sullivan

 

I've always been a big fan of Edgar P. Jacobs' series Blake and Mortimer. When different authors and illustrators restarted the series in the '90 I was apprehensive, but mostly they did a good job. However I lost track of new albums releasing, so I totally missed that in 2019 an album drawn by François Schuiten released called The Last Pharaoh. 

This turned out to be a story that loosely follows my favorite story by Jacobs: The Mystery of the Great Pyramid. This combined with the fact Schuiten is an amazing artist and used his own style instead of sticking to Jacobs' style as others did, meant I had to get this album.

And of the stories not written by Jacobs this story is the most beautiful! It's in a very different style than Jacobs', but still it fits perfectly and is an amazing tribute to Jacobs and his work.

Sadly enough it seems it has not been translated to English yet.

For lovers of graphic novels I can recommend picking up this series though. Keep in mind that the original series was written between 1946 and 1972 so there are some outdated things in them, but overall they hold up well imo. Jacobs was a lover of SF so his stories are filed with futuristic and fantastical elements.

I will get my trotters on some of the newer albums I'm still missing to complete my collection.


Find Blake and Mortimer on Amazon

No comments: