Friday 1 April 2022

Devil's Bargain - Book Review

 

Devil's Bargain (Red Letter Days #1)
by Rachel Caine

What is it about:
Jasmine "Jazz" Callender is on the downhill slide to ruin. Once a decorated homicide detective, she's lost it all: her former partner's been convicted of murder, she's been cashiered out, and she's drinking away what little self-respect she's got left. But Jazz has a talent for trouble, and somebody knows it. When a mysterious, sexy stranger comes looking for her with a fateful red envelope in his hand, she's about to make the deal of her life...for good or bad.

The deal requires her to enter into a partnership with a stranger and investigate cases that arrive in special red envelopes...which is odd enough, but gets weirder as she and her new partner Lucia realize that they may be working for someone with supernatural abilities.

And maybe they're not on the side of the angels anymore.

What did I think of it:
I've been having trouble with the Morganville Vampires series since the books switched to multiple viewpoint characters. Still I love Caine's writing, so I decided to dig up another series by Caine from my TBR mountain in hope it would maybe make me excited for the vampires again.

And this was a very entertaining read.

Jazz is a cool heroine. I liked how she isn't immediately taken in by the organisation that's courting her and Lucia. She also keeps her guard up after she starts working with Lucia and questions what is asked of them.

The romance was nice. I didn't really warm up to the love interest, maybe because there were other men who were loads more interesting than he was.

The plot takes its time to get rolling, even with lots of action and danger, but I didn't mind as I was enjoying the ride. All in all I had a good time and I'll definitely pick up the next book that has Jazz's partner Lucia in the lead with what seems like a better love interest than Jazz got.

Why should you read it:
It's fun Slightly Paranormal Romantic Suspense.


buy from Amazon

No comments: