Wednesday 4 May 2022

Kingdom of Needle and Bone - Book Review

 

Kingdom of Needle and Bone
by Mira Grant

What is it about:
It begins with a fever. By the time the spots appear, it’s too late: Morris’s disease is loose on the world, and the bodies of the dead begin to pile high in the streets. When its terrible side consequences for the survivors become clear, something must be done, or the dying will never stop. For Dr. Isabella Gauley, whose niece was the first confirmed victim, the route forward is neither clear nor strictly ethical, but it may be the only way to save a world already in crisis. It may be the only way to atone for her part in everything that’s happened.

She will never be forgiven, not by herself, and not by anyone else. But she can, perhaps, do the right thing.

What did I think of it:
I love some of Grant's book, while I don't care about others. Sadly this novella falls in the second group.

For one the writing was too detached to make me care for what was happening. Reading this two years into a global pandemic and seeing how people reacted to that didn't help either. On top of that I thought that if Grant was trying to make a case in favor of vaccinating that she didn't do a good job at it. I was both bored and annoyed.

And then there was the ending... That put this novella even more firmly in the 'not for me' category. I will pick up the last book in the Parasitology trilogy soon, but this novella won't be a reread.

Why should you read it:
Maybe you'll be able to enjoy it more than I did.


buy from Amazon



No comments: