Wednesday 15 June 2022

Hide - Book Review

 

Hide
by Kiersten White

What is it about:

The challenge: spend a week hiding in an abandoned amusement park and don't get caught.

The prize: enough money to change everything.

Even though everyone is desperate to win--to seize their dream futures or escape their haunting pasts--Mack feels sure that she can beat her competitors. All she has to do is hide, and she's an expert at that.

It's the reason she's alive, and her family isn't.

But as the people around her begin disappearing one by one, Mack realizes this competition is more sinister than even she imagined, and that together might be the only way to survive.

Fourteen competitors. Seven days. Everywhere to hide, but nowhere to run.

Come out, come out, wherever you are.

What did I think of it:
Once again this is a book for the Horror Book Club that I'm reading way too early, but it sounded too cool to wait.

Mack is down on her luck, and out of options, so when she's offered the chance to enter a hide-and-seek competition where the winner gets $50k she enters the competition.

From the start it's clear something is up: the secrecy, the remote location, the last minute bonus task... But all 14 participants have their reasons to want to win this competition, and are too invested to notice the signs, or ignore them.

Although Mack is the main viewpoint character, the viewpoint switches to the others at times, so you get more information about them and about what's going on. I must say that events and what's behind the competition get telegraphed well before they're revealed, but I can't say I minded. I was having too much fun with the story to mind the predictability and it's clear political message, which I could mostly agree with.

I really liked Mack, I could understand why she doesn't want to get close to others, but loved seeing her slowly open up to my other favorite character, Ava. I was rooting for them to discover what was going on and to find a way to survive.

All in all a very cool read. It will end up on my keeper shelves for sure.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool and enjoyable thriller


buy from Amazon

No comments: