Friday 21 October 2022

The Annual Migration of Clouds - Book Review

The Annual Migration of Clouds
by Premee Mohamed

What is it about:
In post-climate disaster Alberta, a woman infected with a mysterious parasite must choose whether to pursue a rare opportunity far from home or stay and help rebuild her community.

The world is nothing like it once was: climate disasters have wracked the continent, causing food shortages, ending industry, and leaving little behind. Then came Cad, mysterious mind-altering fungi that invade the bodies of the now scattered citizenry. Reid, a young woman who carries this parasite, has been given a chance to get away - to move to one of the last remnants of pre-disaster society - but she can't bring herself to abandon her mother and the community that relies on her.

When she's offered a coveted place on a dangerous and profitable mission, she jumps at the opportunity to set her family up for life, but how can Reid ask people to put their trust in her when she can't even trust her own mind?

What did I think of it:
When I was investigating this year's Nebula Award winners I stumbled on this book (which didn't win the Nebula, but Premee Mohamed's And What Can We Offer You Tonight did). I will confess I fell in love with the cover, and when I read what it was about, I had to have it.

And this is such a beautiful read.

Set in a future that seems all too plausible this novella explores what we owe or don't owe to those close to us. Where do we as individuals draw the line? When have we done enough for our parents and are we allowed to live our own lives? What do we owe our (childhood) friends?

I was pulled into the story from the start. The setting, mood, and themes were enough to keep my interest, the parasite inside of Reid was an added bonus. This being a novella it won't surprise you I read it in one sitting.

You bet this will be a keeper, and I'll most definitely will check out other books by Mohamed.

Why should you read it:
It's a beautiful and thought provoking post apocalyptic read.






No comments: