Thursday 1 June 2023

Dead Space - Book Review

  

Dead Space
by Kali Wallace

What is it about:
An investigator must solve a brutal murder on a claustrophobic space station in this tense science fiction thriller from the author of Salvation Day.

Hester Marley used to have a plan for her life. But when a catastrophic attack left her injured, indebted, and stranded far from home, she was forced to take a dead-end security job with a powerful mining company in the asteroid belt. Now she spends her days investigating petty crimes to help her employer maximize its profits. She's surprised to hear from an old friend and fellow victim of the terrorist attack that ruined her life—and that surprise quickly turns to suspicion when he claims to have discovered something shocking about their shared history and the tragedy that neither of them can leave behind.

Before Hester can learn more, her friend is violently murdered at a remote asteroid mine. Hester joins the investigation to find the truth, both about her friend's death and the information he believed he had uncovered. But catching a killer is only the beginning of Hester's worries, and she soon realizes that everything she learns about her friend, his fellow miners, and the outpost they call home brings her closer to revealing secrets that very powerful and very dangerous people would rather keep hidden in the depths of space.

What did I think of it:
I loved Salvation Day, so I got my trotters on Dead Space as well.

And Dead Space is also a really cool SciFi Thriller. 

The action is slow to start, the first part of the book is all investigation and back story about Hester, but I didn't mind as I love Wallace's writing style, and the investigation and Hester's past were really intriguing. 

I loved Hester's colleagues, especially the lead investigator Adisa, so when the action started and things went wrong, you bet I was worried about the outcome and who would or wouldn't survive.

I think I liked Salvation Day just a bit more than Dead Space, but overall I had a really great time with this book and will most definitely read more by Wallace.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool SciFi Thriller


No comments: