Thursday 9 August 2012

A Sliver of Shadow - Book Review

A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair #2)
by Allison Pang


What is it about:
Just when her new life as a TouchStone — a mortal bound to help OtherFolk cross between Faery and human worlds — seems to be settling down, Abby Sinclair is left in charge when the Protectorate, Moira, leaves for the Faery Court. And when the Protectorate’s away…let’s just say things spiral out of control when a spell on Abby backfires and the Faery Queen declares the Doors between their worlds officially closed.

The results are disastrous for both sides: OtherFolk trapped in the mortal world are beginning to fade, while Faerie is on the brink of war with the daemons of Hell. Along with her brooding elven prince Talivar and sexy incubus Brystion, Abby ventures to the CrossRoads in an attempt to override the Queen’s magic. But nothing in this beautiful, dangerous realm will compare to the discoveries she’s making about her past, her destiny, and what she will sacrifice for those she loves.


What did I think of it:
I loved the first book in this series, but a few things at the end of that book made me fear I might feel different about book 2.

And I was right.

Don't get me wrong: A Sliver of Shadow is a really cool story, full of intrigue, suspense and action. It's a story that grips you and keeps you reading.

No, it's the love triangle that got me really annoyed. I will confess that I'm not a fan of love triangles at the best of times, but here it even got to me more than usual.

Brystion was a very cool character in the first book, but in A Sliver of Shadow he's cast like he's the bad guy when it comes to the relationship between him and Abby. I couldn't help but feel that this was done to make me feel sympathetic to Abby and her growing feelings for Talivar. Which is a shame as Talivar is a very cool character as well and I'd have understood why Abby is torn between the two men even without the Brystion bashing.

So in the end I loved the story, but was annoyed by the romance. Still the overall reading experience was a positive one and I will certainly pick up the next book in this series.

Why should you read it:
It's beautifully written Fantasy


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

3 comments:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

It seems a lot of books have been playing the love triangle card. It does get old, and annoying from time to time. Thanks for the review. :)

Melliane said...

Yay! totally agree with you, I'm so curious to learn more. I still can't choose between the two of them it's very difficult..

Aurian said...

I just read the first book, can't wait for this one! Lucky me, it is on my shelves already.