Thursday 23 August 2012

Precinct 13 - Book Review

Precinct 13
by Tate Hallaway


What is it about:
Recent college grad Alex Conner is thrilled to have landed a job as the Hughes County coroner/medical examiner in Pierre, South Dakota. But when her first day on the job ends with a missing corpse, Alex starts to wonder if she would have been better off collecting unemployment...

When the cops made some cryptic comments about being careful with the body they brought in, Alex just thought the boys in blue were messing with her. That is, until something freaky happens that no amount of med school could have prepared her for. By the time Alex gets herself together, the body has disappeared and the other residents of the morgue start talking her ear off.

After working up the courage to report the missing body, Alex is transferred to the mysterious Precinct 13 where she discovers that her new co-workers—including a cute technomage named Jack—are paranormals just like her. Now, Alex is being encouraged to use her ability to speak to the dead to solve crimes. And despite being in the middle of nowhere, Hughes County sure does have a lot of paranormal activity…


What did I think of it:
I will confess I pre-ordered this book ages ago after seeing the cover and reading the tagline: The dead have tales to tell. Sometimes they just won't shut up.

I had expected a very different story going by that tagline than the story that I got.

do I mind?

Absolutely not!

This is a very entertaining and enjoyable story. I liked Alex from the start and Hallaway does a great job in taking the reader along on Alex's road of discovery.

There are some really cool characters in this book. My favorite is Valentine, Alex's on and off again boyfriend, who has some secrets of his own, while Officer Stone (who's name is very fitting) is a close second.

The story is both fun and intriguing. There's lots of things going on, but it never gets confusing or chaotic. There was one moment where I thought something happened that would be exploited later on in the story, but which sadly enough proved to be a dud. Otherwise this story was totally awesome.

All in all I loved this book and I can only hope Hallaway decided to make this into a series, because I want more!

Why should you read it:
It's a very entertaining Urban Fantasy


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

4 comments:

Melliane said...

I was curious about this one and you know how I love UF books! I think I neet to try this one. thanks!

Aurian said...

Great review Sullivan, this is now on my wishlist.

Sullivan McPig said...

I think you both would like it, it's a fun read.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

So glad to see you enjoyed it even though different thank expected. Some times that's a great thing. :) Thanks for your thoughts on this one! Sound very good and one to look for. :)