Monday 23 January 2017

Starflight - Book Review


Starflight (Starflight #1)
by Melissa Landers


What is it about:
Solara Brooks needs a fresh start, someplace where nobody cares about the engine grease beneath her fingernails or the felony tattoos across her knuckles. The outer realm may be lawless, but it's not like the law has ever been on her side. Still, off-world travel doesn't come cheap; Solara is left with no choice but to indenture herself in exchange for passage to the outer realm. She just wishes it could have been to anyone besides Doran Spaulding, the rich, pretty-boy quarterback who made her life miserable in school.

The tables suddenly turn when Doran is framed for conspiracy on Earth, and Solara cons him into playing the role of her servant on board the Banshee, a ship manned by an eccentric crew with their own secrets. Given the price on both Doran and Solara's heads, it may just be the safest place in the universe.

It's been a long time since Solara has believed in anyone, and Doran is the last person she expected to trust. But when the Banshee's dangerous enemies catch up with them, Solara and Doran must come together to protect the ship that has become their home-and the eccentric crew that feels like family.


What did I think of it:
This is a really fun SF read.

Solara and Doran make a great mismatched duo and I loved their banter and interaction. I also loved the crew of the Banshee, some more than others of course.

The world building is minimal, but enough to picture everything, and the story is fast paced with some really cool action and fun events. I enjoyed it from start to finish.

I can advice this book to anyone who's looking for a fun YA SF read. I liked it so much I'm tempted to pre-order the second book which releases next month, even though it's a hardcover priced over 10 Euro.

Luckily I still have the second book of Landers' Alienated series in my TBR pile, so I'll be reading that soon while trying to decide if I want to wait for the paperback of Starfall or if I'm going to get the hardcover after all.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun and action packed YA SF read


Buy from bookdepository

1 comment:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I like the sounds of this one. It sounds like a light science fiction read. Thanks for sharing about it.