Monday 9 August 2010

Burning Up - Book Review

*
Burning Up by Nalini Singh, Angela Knight, Virginia Kantra, and Meljean Brook

What is it about:
Nalini Singh returns to the world of her Psy-Changeling series as a woman in lethal danger finds an unlikely protector-and lover.

Angela Knight pairs a vampire warrior and his seductive captor in a battle against demonic predators.

Virginia Kantra continues the haunting tales of the Children of the Sea in her story of a wounded soldier rescued by an enigmatic young woman.

Meljean Brook launches a bold new steampunk series about a woman who strikes a provocative-and terrifying-bargain for freedom.



What did I think of it:
You'll find my review of the story Here There Be Monsters by Meljean Brook here

As I said in my review of Brook's story, this anthology is about hot paranormal romance, so all of the stories have romance as the main storyline, one doing a better job at it than the other. I'll give a short overview of my thoughts about each story.

Whisper of Sin by Nalini Singh
I really liked this one. It was well written, had cool secondary characters and the romance and action had a nice balance for a short story like this. I will certainly check out other books in this series.

Blood and Roses by Angela Knight
This story was ok, but could have been better. The romance was more smut than romance and felt very rushed and unnatural. I liked the world building for as far as it was shown, but didn't care much for the story.

Shifting Sea by Virginia Kantra
My least favourite of the stories in this anthology. It was too much romance, too little other storylines in my opinion. I also thought the characters lacked originality and there was little depth to the story.

All in all, a decent anthology with Here There Be Monsters being my absolute favourite, but taken my love for Steampunk and pirates into account that doesn't come as a big surprise.

Why should you read it:
Lovers of paranormal romance will love this anthology

* I won this book at vvB32 Reads

4 comments:

Emily said...

Excellent review and I agree with your points- Whisper of Sin and Here There Be Monsters were my favorites by far as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm not generally all that into anthologies. I'll read one now and then, but I frequently find the writing uneven.

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

thanks for the overview on the other stories in the book :)

Sullivan McPig said...

I love reading anthologies as it gives me a chance to discover new to me authors. This one added two authors to my tbr list.