Saturday 20 November 2010

Another Book I Couldn't Finish

Sometimes you read a book and it doesn't really grab you, but it's just interesting enough to keep reading to see if it will be more engrossing later on in the book and then.....

you encounter one of those annoying things that make you lose your patience and throw the book out!

In the case of www:wake it was Canada bashing.

The lead character of the book is an American teenager who moved to Canada with her parents. She kept on dishing Canadian things like Canadian literature and art. The third time this happened I put down the book and decided this wasn't a book for me.

Now either Sawyer - who's Canadian as far as I could figure out on wikipedia - is someone who doesn't like his own country, or he thinks Americans think negatively about his country. Either possibility puts me off of this book I must say.

Now don't get me wrong:
The writing was good and the story idea interesting enough to have me kept reading if not for the Canada bashing, so if you don't mind that it is probably a good book.


How about you:
Any pet peeves that make you put down a book?


5 comments:

Demented Wench said...

That is just weird. Why even put that in the book if it doesn't tie into the story?

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

That's an odd choice to pick to bash.

Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed by Canadians who seem to think American look down on them. I know there are bound to be a few Americans like that out there, but I don't know any of them.

Unknown said...

Hey! Just thought you might be interested in checking out my latest book giveaway at amandarosetew.blogspot.com!

Sugar and Snark said...

I would also put down a book if the Author bashes another country/place.