Friday 11 March 2016

A Fantasy Medley 3 - Book Review


A Fantasy Medley 3
by Yanni Kuznia (Editor), Jacqueline Carey, Kevin Hearne, Laura Bickle and Aliette de Bodard


What is it about:
In “Goddess at the Crossroads,” Kevin Hearne shares a thrillingly memorable episode from the past of his popular Iron Druid Chronicles hero Atticus O’Sullivan, revealing how one night’s dark encounter with the cult of Hecate served as inspiration for Shakespeare’s witches in the Scottish play.

With “Ashes,” Laura Bickle revisits Detroit arson investigator and powerful spirit medium Anya Kalinczyk as she, her five-foot-long salamander familiar Sparky, and Hades’ Charon pursue a destructive fire elemental named the Nain Rouge through the city’s festival in his dubious honor.

“The Death of Aiguillon” finds Aliette de Bodard exploring an episode sixty years prior to the start of her latest novel, The House of Shattered Wings, in which the survivors of an ongoing magical conflict in Paris eke out a grim existence, and one woman’s wish for a better life is granted at a terrible price.

And in “One Hundred Ablutions,” Jacqueline Carey, author of the much-beloved Kushiel’s Legacy series, tells the tale of Dala—a young woman chosen by her people’s overlords to be an exalted slave among slaves—and of the twining in her life of ritual, rebellion, and redemption.


What did I think of it:
Goddess at the Crossroads by Kevin Hearne
This was a fun story featuring Shakespeare and witches.
I haven't read the Iron Druid Chronicles (yet), but had no trouble understanding the story. I really liked the writing and the characters. I will have to dig up the first book in the series from my TBR pile and give it a try one of these days.

Ashes by Laura Bickle
If you know me, you know this story is why I wanted this anthology.
And Laura Bickle doesn't disappoint. This is a really cool and touching story. Anya and Sparky team up with Charon to save the city from destruction. I will keep hoping for more books and stories in this series, but if this story is the last then I'm happy with how Bickle leaves things for Anya and Sparky.

The Death of Aiguillon by Aliette de Bodard
I will admit I couldn't get into this story and didn't finish it.

One Hundred Ablutions by Jacqueline Carey
This is a beautiful and sad story.
I've only read one of Carey's Urban Fantasy books, but reading this story I'm tempted to pick up one of her Fantasy books as well. I loved the writing, the setting and the the mood that Carey sets here.

Why should you read it:
Sparky!!!


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: