Friday 4 March 2016

Traveler - Book Review/Rant


Traveler (Seeker #2)
by Arwen Elys Dayton


What is it about:
Quin Kincaid is a Seeker. Her legacy is an honor, an ancient role passed down for generations. But what she learned on her oath night changed her world forever.

Quin pledged her life to deception. Her legacy as a Seeker is not noble but savage. She was trained to be an assassin. And the boy she once loved is out for vengeance, with her family in his sights.

Yet Quin is not alone. Shinobu, her oldest companion, might now be the only person she can trust. The only one who wants answers as desperately as she does.

But the deeper they dig into the past, the darker things become. There are long-vanished Seeker families, shadowy alliances, and something else: a sinister plan begun generations ago with the power to end the legacy forever.

And it might destroy them all.


What did I think of it:
I'm going to guess that a lot of people liked the multiple viewpoints in the first book of this series, because in this book the number of viewpoint characters is doubled!

Yes: six! viewpoint characters all get their own chapters in which they treat you to their view of the world. In the best circumstances I'm not a fan of multiple viewpoints, but here it really annoyed me. I didn't think much of most of the characters, so found myself skimming to reach the chapters of the few characters I could stand.

All these different people all doing their own thing dragged the pacing down as well. Even with skimming this felt like a long and slow read. Characters I liked in the previous book were suddenly whiny and/or annoying. I came close to not finishing the book, but the hope that it would change and I'd love the book kept me reading. Alas!

I'm going to give up on this trilogy and won't be picking up the last book, if only because I'm afraid the next book will have even more viewpoint characters to loathe. A shame, because despite some flaws in the world building I really liked the first book.

Why should you read it:
If you like multiple viewpoints and Paranormal Near Future World YA you might like this.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: