Monday 17 September 2018

Batman: Nightwalker - Book Review


Batman: Nightwalker
by Marie Lu


What is it about:
Returning home from his lavish eighteenth birthday party, Bruce Wayne stops a criminal's getaway - disobeying the police and crashing his car during the chase.

Sentenced to community service in Gotham City's Arkham Asylum, he encounters some of the the city's most dangerous and mentally disturbed criminals. Among these, Bruce meets the intriguing Madeleine who has ties to the Nightwalker gang that is terrorizing Gotham City.
She's a mystery Bruce has to unravel but can he trust her? The Nightwalkers target the rich, and Bruce's name is next on their list.


What did I think of it:
I confess: I was hesitant to give this book a try. I love Batman, especially the darker comics, and I loved Lu's Warcross, but I didn't much care for her other two series. Then I got a gift certificate and decided to buy books with it I wouldn't easily buy otherwise. This is one of the two books I bought.

And I can tell you this is a cool read.

I really liked Bruce. He's not Batman yet, but you can see he is on his way. I loved the inclusion of characters who will play important roles in his future, and I tried to see if there is something in this book that could have tipped Bruce off to things to come.

I also loved the scenes between Bruce and Madeleine. Madeleine is a deliciously complex character, and I enjoyed seeing how she manages to connect with Bruce. I'm starting to think Lu is at her best when she writes morally ambiguous characters.

The action is fun and exciting, but it's the psychological aspect of this story that I enjoyed the most. All in all a great read. I wouldn't mind if Lu got permission to write more stories about young Bruce, but I don't see it happening sadly enough. I'll most certainly will be rereading this book, and I'm already eagerly awaiting the arrival of Wildcard, the next book in the Warcross series.

Why should you read it:
It's a very enjoyable Superhero read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: