Monday 24 September 2018

Wildcard - Book Review


Wildcard (Warcross #2)
by Marie Lu


What is it about:
Emika Chen barely made it out of the Warcross Championships alive. Now that she knows the truth behind Hideo's new NeuroLink algorithm, she can no longer trust the one person she's always looked up to, who she once thought was on her side.

Determined to put a stop to Hideo's grim plans, Emika and the Phoenix Riders band together, only to find a new threat lurking on the neon-lit streets of Tokyo. Someone's put a bounty on Emika's head, and her sole chance for survival lies with Zero and the Blackcoats, his ruthless crew. But Emika soon learns that Zero isn't all that he seems--and his protection comes at a price.

Caught in a web of betrayal, with the future of free will at risk, just how far will Emika go to take down the man she loves?


What did I think of it:
I loved Warcross, so I pre-ordered Wildcard right after finishing Warcross.

And this is a great read as well!

I love Emika, and I was rooting for her to find a way to reach Hideo and let him see reason. I liked that her team members are there for her and try to help her as much as she lets them.

And then there is Zero and his people. I distrusted them from the start and worried about Emika. She gets involved in their plans and soon finds out she's in over her head. I was anxious to find out what would happen to her and to Hideo and his plans.

There is of course less Warcross in this book, as playing a game of Warcross (instead of the dangerous games she gets caught up in) is the last thing that's on Emika's mind. Still there are some really exciting scenes set in the virtual world. I loved discovering what was going on and what secrets everyone was hiding. I finished the book in a day, because I had to know how this duology would end.

And I can tell you that I was very satisfied. There was one tiny moment near the end that made me fear I would love the book, but hate the ending, but luckily it was false alarm. The only thing to hate about this book, is that it's already the end of this series. I wouldn't have minded more books I can tell you.

All in all this is a great read and I will most certainly reread this duology. I will also keep an eye out for what Lu will write next.

Why should you read it:
It's an awesome Futuristic YA read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: