Monday 10 September 2018

Forget Tomorrow - Book Rant


Forget Tomorrow (Forget Tomorrow #1)
by Pintip Dunn


What is it about:
Imagine a world where your destiny has already been decided…by your future self.

It’s Callie’s seventeenth birthday and, like everyone else, she’s eagerly awaiting her vision―a memory sent back in time to sculpt each citizen into the person they’re meant to be. A world-class swimmer. A renowned scientist.

Or in Callie’s case, a criminal.

In her vision, she sees herself murdering her gifted younger sister. Before she can process what it means, Callie is arrested and placed in Limbo―a prison for those destined to break the law. With the help of her childhood crush, Logan, a boy she hasn’t spoken to in five years, she escapes the hellish prison.

But on the run from her future, as well as the government, Callie sets in motion a chain of events that she hopes will change her fate. If not, she must figure out how to protect her sister from the biggest threat of all.

Callie herself.


What did I think of it:
Maybe I think too much when reading. Not long ago I DNFed a book where the world building didn't make sense, and when talking with a friend she said that flaws in world building is something she doesn't care about, for her it's the story. It would probably be easier if I could read like that as well. Sadly enough I can't stop my brain from thinking while reading though.

So why am I telling you this? Forget Tomorrow is a great read if you don't look too closely at the world building, but if you do, you are left with total frustration from wondering 'Why?'.

I really wanted to know more. So people receive a memory from their future self and plan their life according to what the memory is. If you see yourself as a renowned scientist, you start working towards that future, and so on. Ok... But when the first person received his future memory, why did everyone believe him? How did he know it was a future memory? Why did they decide to build their whole society around those future memories? If their future selves can pick which memory to send, why would they send certain memories? I could add many more things I wanted to know, but I didn't get the answers I wanted.

As I said: the story itself is cool, and even with all my questions I finished the book, as I was eager to find out what would happen to Callie. But those unanswered questions annoy me! I do have the second book, so I will pick that one up soon, hoping it will answer at least some of my questions and that finally the world in this book will make sense to me.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool story if you don't try to make sense of the world building.


buy from bookdepository

No comments: