Wednesday 3 October 2018

A Blade So Black - Book Review


A Blade So Black
by L.L. McKinney


What is it about:
The first time the Nightmares came, it nearly cost Alice her life. Now she's trained to battle monstrous creatures in the dark dream realm known as Wonderland with magic weapons and hardcore fighting skills. Yet even warriors have a curfew.

Life in real-world Atlanta isn't always so simple, as Alice juggles an overprotective mom, a high-maintenance best friend, and a slipping GPA. Keeping the Nightmares at bay is turning into a full-time job. But when Alice's handsome and mysterious mentor is poisoned, she has to find the antidote by venturing deeper into Wonderland than she’s ever gone before. And she'll need to use everything she's learned in both worlds to keep from losing her head . . . literally.


What did I think of it:
This is a cool read.

I love Alice in Wonderland, so that's why I decided to pick up this book (the gorgeous cover was the icing on the cake).

Alice is a great heroine and I rooted for her from the start. I also loved her mentor Hatta. The book starts when they meet, and then soon jumps to the point where she's fully trained, kicking monster-butt, and the trouble starts.

I loved how Alice not only has to deal with Wonderland, but with mundane stuff as well. Her mother is making it difficult for her to go off monster hunting whenever she wants. Too often in books like this the teens get away with murder without their parents ever making an appearance. Alice's mom keeps a close eye on her and isn't afraid to ground her if she doesn't keep to her promises.

I liked seeing how the familiar characters from the original story were used in this book, and how McKinney gave her own spin to them. I also really enjoyed the scenes set in Wonderland. As the story unfolded and I got further into the book I was starting to worry how everything would turn out.

The ending was satisfying enough, although I had some minor grumbles. It does end in a way that I do want and need a sequel though, so I'll keep an eye out for news.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool re-imagining of Alice in Wonderland


buy from bookdepository

No comments: