Monday 4 February 2019

Haunting the Deep - Book Review


Haunting the Deep (How to Hang a Witch #2)
by Adriana Mather


What is it about:
Samantha Mather knew her family’s connection to the infamous Salem Witch Trials might pose obstacles to an active social life. But having survived one curse, she never thought she’d find herself at the center of a new one.

This time, Sam is having recurring dreams about the Titanic . . . where she’s been walking the deck with first-class passengers, like her aunt and uncle. Meanwhile, in Sam’s waking life, strange missives from the Titanic have been finding their way to her, along with haunting visions of people who went down with the ship.

Ultimately, Sam and the Descendants, along with some help from heartthrob Elijah, must unravel who is behind the spell that is drawing her ever further into the dream ship . . . and closer to sharing the same grim fate as its ghostly passengers.


What did I think of it:
I saw this book in the bookstore and immediately bought it when I saw the Titanic mentioned. Only later did I discover it's the second book in a series. I must say this book can be read on its own though. Yes: there are mentions to things that happened in the first book, but I wasn't confused.

This was a really intriguing read. Samantha sees ghosts from passengers of the Titanic and at night she dreams she's on board of the doomed ship. The more she tries to find out what's going on the more her own fate seems to become intertwined with that of the Titanic.

I was hooked from the start and wanted to find out what was going on just as much as Samantha. There was one point in the story where I feared Mather would take a certain and often used route where it comes to the Titanic, but luckily I was wrong. Mather used the Titanic in an intriguing and original way to tell a very suspenseful and spooky story.

All in all I very much enjoyed this book and the mentions of things that happened in the first book make me curious enough that I just might decide to get my trotters on it one of these days, even though there will be no Titanic in that one.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool and spooky Paranormal YA read


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: