Wednesday 6 February 2019

How to Save an Undead Life - Book Review


How to Save an Undead Life (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy #1)
by Hailey Edwards


What is it about:
Grier Woolworth spends her nights weaving spooky tales of lost souls and tragedies for tourists on the streets of downtown Savannah. Hoop skirt and parasol aside, it's not a bad gig. The pay is crap, but the tips keep the lights on in her personal haunted mansion and her pantry stocked with ramen.

Life is about as normal as it gets for an ex-necromancer hiding among humans. Until the society that excommunicated Grier offers her a second chance at being more than ordinary. Too bad no one warned her the trouble with being extraordinary is it can get you killed.


What did I think of it:
This book was recommended to me by Melliane, and let me tell you: I'm glad I listened to her and picked it up.

This is such a cool read.

Grier has spend the last five year in a supernatural prison, accused of murder. When she gets out she is broke and is just trying to get by and leave the past behind her. Then other supernaturals show up, clearly interested in her. She will have to figure out why she suddenly seems to be the most interesting necromancer in town or she might not enjoy her freedom for long.

I loved Grier and her immediate circle of friends. Especially Neely, the make-up artist at her job is an absolute sweetheart and hope he'll be in other books in this series as well.

The worldbuilding and the creatures that populate this world were very intriguing, and Edwards gave her own interesting spin to some old favorites. I can't wait to find out more. The story is fun, suspenseful, and gripped me from the start and didn't let me go until I finished the book, leaving me eager for more.

You bet I'll get my trotters on other books in this series soon!

Why should you read it:
It's a cool UF with Necromancers!


Buy from Amazon

2 comments:

Melliane said...

I'm glad you had a good time too!

miki said...

i didn't know about this one but it sure sound good