Monday 12 August 2019

Empire of Sand - Book Review


Empire of Sand (The Books of Ambha #1)
by Tasha Suri


What is it about:
A NOBLEMAN'S DAUGHTER WITH MAGIC IN HER BLOOD
AN EMPIRE BUILT ON THE DREAMS OF ENSLAVED GODS

Mehr is a girl trapped between two cultures. Her father comes from the ruling classes of the empire, but her mother's people were outcasts, Amrithi nomads who worshipped the spirits of the sands.

Caught one night performing these forbidden rites, Mehr is brought to the attention of the Emperor's most feared mystics, who try to force her into their service by way of an arranged marriage. If she fails in their bidding, the gods themselves may awaken and seek vengeance...

From British debut author Tasha Suri, Empire of Sand is a lush and beautiful tale set in a magical world inspired by medieval India.


What did I think of it:
This is such a beautiful and gorgeous read!

I fell in love with Mehr from the start. Holding on to the rites her mother taught her before leaving Mehr and her younger sister, Mehr doesn't fit in well in her father's household. I loved learning about her, the traditions of her mother's people, and Mehr's every day life.

Then she gets noticed by the mystics and her life gets even more difficult.

I was totally hooked and rooting for Mehr to free herself from everything that keeps her trapped and bound to others. I hoped for her to find somebody who could accept her for who she was instead of trying to shape her into something she isn't. And once that person enters the story, you bet I was rooting for both of them!

The writing is beautiful and had me pacing myself to truly appreciate it, instead of rushing on to discover how everything would play out. Suri is a masterful storyteller, painting a lush picture of Mehr's world with her descriptions and her prose.

Still the ending came much to soon in my opinion. I could have stayed lost in this world much longer, even with the very satisfying ending. You bet I'll get my grabby trotters on the next book once it releases.

Why should you read it:
It's a beautiful Fantasy read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: