Friday 14 August 2020

Emergency Skin - Book Review

 

Emergency Skin (Forward series)
by N.K. Jemisin 

What is it about:
What will become of our self-destructed planet? The answer shatters all expectations in this subversive speculation from the Hugo Award–winning author of the Broken Earth trilogy.

An explorer returns to gather information from a climate-ravaged Earth that his ancestors, and others among the planet’s finest, fled centuries ago. The mission comes with a warning: a graveyard world awaits him. But so do those left behind—hopeless and unbeautiful wastes of humanity who should have died out eons ago. After all this time, there’s no telling how they’ve devolved. Steel yourself, soldier. Get in. Get out. And try not to stare.

N. K. Jemisin’s Emergency Skin is part of Forward, a collection of six stories of the near and far future from out-of-this-world authors. Each piece can be read or listened to in a single thought-provoking sitting.

What did I think of it:
I've been curious about Jemisin's work, so thought I'd start with a short story.

And although I really liked this story it doesn't feel like this was the right story to get a feel of Jemisin's style.

This story is told by a 'We' speaking to a 'You', so it feels as if you as the reader are being spoken to. I really had to get used to this way of telling a story. Once I got into it I really enjoyed the story though.

It's a short story, so I won't go into detail, but I loved the premise and the resolution of this story. I will have to try more by Jemisin.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool short SF story.


buy from Amazon

No comments: