Monday 24 August 2020

Song of Sorrow - Book Review

 


Song of Sorrow (Sorrow #2)
by Melinda Salisbury

What is it about:
Sequel to STATE OF SORROW by best-selling fantasy author Melinda Salisbury.

Sorrow Ventaxis has won the election, and in the process lost everything...

Governing under the sinister control of Vespus Corrigan, and isolated from her friends, Sorrow must to find a way to free herself from his web and save her people. But Vespus has no plans to let her go, and he isn't the only enemy Sorrow faces as the curse of her name threatens to destroy her and everything she's fought for.

What did I think of it:
I loved the first book in this duology, although I had my suspicions who of the two love interests would end up with Sorrow, so I preordered this book, only to let it turn into an TBR Orphan. After reading Hold Back the Tide last month I decided I finally needed to pick this book up.

And my fears were justified!

The book starts out strong and I was invested. Then the following thing happened: Sorrow needs to do this one important thing, but she doesn't have the time, because there are so much things she needs to do! So she decides to take a trip into the country...

What? You can't do this one important thing that might solve your problems, but you can go for a trip into the country?!

From that point on the story lost me for a while. Things happened that I couldn't suspend my disbelief about. Add the fact that slimy 'I'm so witty and smart' indeed turns out to end up with Sorrow and I had a hard time continuing.

The ending did pull itself together a bit and saved the book from complete failure for me. 

I will read more by Salisbury in the future, but this book won't be a reread.

Why should you read it:
It's an entertaining YA Fantasy read.



No comments: