Friday 16 October 2020

Even If We Break - Book Review


Even If We Break
by Marieke Nijkamp

What is it about:
FIVE friends go to a cabin.
FOUR of them are hiding secrets.
THREE years of history bind them.
TWO are doomed from the start.
ONE person wants to end this.
NO ONE IS SAFE.

Are you ready to play?

What did I think of it:
When I heard this book was about a group of roleplayers I was both eager and apprehensive. You don't want to know how often I've encountered the bias that games and especially roleplaying games are evil! *glares at Mazes and Monsters & Underground

Luckily Stranger Things has been a big help in making rpgs more normal. 

And this book is amazing!

Yes, there's someone stalking the five friends who just want to spend a weekend roleplaying in a remote cabin, but it's not the evils of games that are to blame. It was so cool to see the kind of geeks that I identify with in a book while they're not depicted as evil or twisted for once.

All five characters have their own viewpoint and the story is told switching from viewpoint to viewpoint. All of them are interesting, most have secrets, and not all of them will survive the weekend.

I had my favorite characters of course, so I was on the edge of my seat to find out what was going on and if my favorites would survive. I also loved how the game they are playing was used in the story. It sounded like a game I'd love to be part of (without the real life creepy stuff that intruded).

All in all a thrilling and suspenseful story. You bet I'll investigate what other books Nijkamp has written.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool and suspenseful YA Thriller.


Buy from bookdepository
 

No comments: