Monday 28 March 2022

Smoke Bitten - Book Review

 

Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson #12)
by Patricia Briggs

What is it about:
Mercy Thompson, car mechanic and shapeshifter, faces a threat unlike any other in this thrilling entry in the #1 New York Times bestselling series.

I am Mercedes Athena Thompson Hauptman.
My only "superpowers" are that I turn into a thirty-five pound coyote and fix Volkswagens. But I have friends in odd places and a pack of werewolves at my back. It looks like I'm going to need them.

Centuries ago, the fae dwelt in Underhill--until she locked her doors against them. They left behind their great castles and troves of magical artifacts. They abandoned their prisoners and their pets. Without the fae to mind them, those creatures who remained behind roamed freely through Underhill wreaking havoc. Only the deadliest survived.

Now one of those prisoners has escaped. It can look like anyone, any creature it chooses. But if it bites you, it controls you. It lives for chaos and destruction. It can make you do anything--even kill the person you love the most. Now it is here, in the Tri-Cities. In my territory.

It won't, can't, remain.

Not if I have anything to say about it.

What did I think of it:
This series keeps going strong.

At times I felt that too many things were put into one book. There's the strange creature, Adam acting out of character, one of the vampires acting even crazier than usual, and on top of that an extra threat that may or may not be linked to one of the other things already going on.

That said: I had a great time with this book. Mercy manages to stay on top of things as much as possible, even with once again people in the pack working against her. I was invested in her well being and that of her loved ones. With the creature on the prowl I feared for the lives of some of my favorite characters.

All in all a cool and fast paced read with everything that's going on. I'll be picking up the next book in the spin-off series Alpha and Omega soon.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool and action packed Urban Fantasy Read.


buy from amazon


No comments: